Does air in the stomach make it harder to give rescue breaths?

Air in the stomach makes it harder for the diaphragm - the large muscle that controls breathing - to move. This makes it harder for the lungs to fill with air. 

Continue Learning about First Aid Techniques

What should I do before providing first aid?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
You should do the following before providing first aid:Check to make sure the scene is safe before...
How do I assess a conscious victim before giving first aid?
Hopefully you have taken a first aid course. Remember, Do No Further Harm - if you are unsure or you...
What is the proper technique for spine boarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Spine boarding is a technique that is used to transport an athlete for emergency care whenever a cer...
How do I give rescue breaths to an infant when performing CPR?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
After giving 30 chest compressions, give 2 rescue breaths, covering the infant’s mouth and nose wi...