Why is first-aid training important?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
The steps a rescuer takes during the first few minutes of a medical emergency are critical - they can mean the difference between temporary or permanent disability or between life and death. That's why first-aid knowledge and training are so important. They prepare you to intervene calmly and effectively in a medical emergency. Everyone has a chance to be a life saver.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Kid’s Safety: Worst Foods For Choking
Kid’s Safety: Worst Foods For Choking
A new study in the Journal of Pediatrics highlights the most dangerous foods for choking -- and the ones that lead to the most ER visits. According t...
What should I do for my child in an emergency?
Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and ChildrenTulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children
If you need to tend to your child in an emergency, stay calm (if you freak out or panic, so will you...
Tailgating Traumas to Avoid
Tailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to Avoid
Get your party on and get home safely.
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?