When should I move someone who has been in an accident?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine

Positioning a victim after an accident should only be done to avoid danger or to provide care.

Only change position if victim is:

• Unconscious
    • In immediate danger in current location
    • Breathing and unresponsive
    • Vomiting or has debris in mouth
    • In shock
    Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Toilet Seat Covers: Do They Work?
    Toilet Seat Covers: Do They Work?
    My husband runs every day with a jogging group. Often in the course of their runs they have a need for a Porta Potty. One day the guys in the group we...
    How can I move an injured or ill person without hurting myself?
    American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
    Use your knees and hips, not your back, when you bend Avoid twisting your body Do not move a perso...
    5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
    5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
    From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
    What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?