When does a burn require medical attention?

A burn requires medical attention when it is large, develops large blisters, worsens over time or causes breaks in the skin. A minor burn can be treated at home with cold water and over-the-counter pain medication. 
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
Here's how to know if a burn requires medical attention:

• Any burn area greater than one percent of the body - approximately the size of the victim's hand - requires medical attention.
  • Burns of the fingers, toes, genitals, and eyes always require medical attention.
  • Burns involving the face, airway, and neck are considered life-threatening and require immediate medical attention.
  • All full-thickness burns, no matter how small, require medical attention
  • Anyone who inhales smoke, fumes or flames is also at risk and requires prompt medical attention.
  • Remember, heat may cause the airway to swell, resulting in breathing difficulty. If you suspect airway burns, get prompt medical attention for the victim while monitoring for responsiveness and breathing.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

How to Protect Athletes from MRSA
How to Protect Athletes from MRSA
What daily risk do competitive high school fencers face? It's “touché” that’s perilous -- but not because their opponent scores a point. Turns out con...
What should I do for my child in an emergency?
Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and ChildrenTulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children
If you need to tend to your child in an emergency, stay calm (if you freak out or panic, so will you...
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?