What are ways to ice an injury?

You can use a simple paper cup of frozen water to massage on and around the area. This helps cold penetrate more deeply than with a bag of ice. Another option is to use an ice bath. This can be used on larger areas, such as a leg or both legs at a time. By surrounding the body part, the cold water will remove warmth evenly from the desired area.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

“P” is for Pool?
“P” is for Pool?
Before jumping into your neighborhood pool this summer you might reflect on Olympic gold-medal swimmer Ryan Lochte’s confession that he peed in the po...
How can I move an injured or ill person without hurting myself?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Use your knees and hips, not your back, when you bend Avoid twisting your body Do not move a perso...
How can I help an unconscious person if they are breathing?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Keep the person lying face-up and maintain an open airway by using the head-tilt/chin-lift technique...
How to Use an EpiPen
How to Use an EpiPen