What symptoms might I have after coming into contact with poison sumac?

The infected areas will become red and start to itch if not cleaned within 12-28 hours after touching the poison sumac. Depending on the person, the infected area can have red streaks or just a red colored area. Hives can appear, and so can fluid-filled blisters. (This answer provided for NATA by the California University of Pennsylvania Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Tornado Preparedness: Your Guide to Staying Safe During a Tornado
While images of tornadoes may be beautiful in photographs, they can be deadly and wreak havoc on residential homes, businesses and natural habitats. T...
What can I do if someone has fallen in my home?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
If someone has fallen in your home: – If they are not breathing start CPR and stop any bleeding w...
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?