What should I do if my child is unresponsive?

If your child is unresponsive, call 911 and do the “ABC” check: A) Check the Airway to make sure it’s not blocked. B) Check for Breathing -- sounds of inhaled or exhaled air. C) Check for Circulation -- your child’s pulse. If you need to start Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or do the Heimlich maneuver, the dispatcher can walk you through the steps while the paramedics are en route. Better yet, be prepared by taking a CPR class or take a refresher course.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...
If your child is unresponsive, ensure that the area around your child is safe and call 911. If you have been trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), check for a pulse, and if you do not feel a pulse, start CPR.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

What You Should Know About Urgent Care—and When to Use It
It's Saturday afternoon and your son has come down with a fever. Or maybe your husband sprained his ankle on a jog. Your doctor's office is closed unt...
How can I move an injured or ill person without hurting myself?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Use your knees and hips, not your back, when you bend Avoid twisting your body Do not move a perso...
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Find out how to ward off mosquitoes without exposing your skin to harsh chemicals.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?