What should I do if my child is unresponsive?

If your child is unresponsive, ensure that the area around your child is safe and call 911. If you have been trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), check for a pulse, and if you do not feel a pulse, start CPR.

If your child is unresponsive, call 911 and do the “ABC” check: A) Check the Airway to make sure it’s not blocked. B) Check for Breathing -- sounds of inhaled or exhaled air. C) Check for Circulation -- your child’s pulse. If you need to start Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or do the Heimlich maneuver, the dispatcher can walk you through the steps while the paramedics are en route. Better yet, be prepared by taking a CPR class or take a refresher course.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween. Scary decorations, pumpkins on doorsteps and incredible candy sales at the...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free. For many Americans, the 4th of July involves wat...
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Safe, Fun Fourth of July
Tips for a Safe, Fun Fourth of JulyTips for a Safe, Fun Fourth of JulyTips for a Safe, Fun Fourth of JulyTips for a Safe, Fun Fourth of July
Celebrate your Independence Day while staying safe with these 5 tips. The Fourth of July is a blast: What’s not to love about grilling, friends and fi...