What should I do if my child is unresponsive?

If your child is unresponsive, ensure that the area around your child is safe and call 911. If you have been trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), check for a pulse, and if you do not feel a pulse, start CPR.

If your child is unresponsive, call 911 and do the “ABC” check: A) Check the Airway to make sure it’s not blocked. B) Check for Breathing -- sounds of inhaled or exhaled air. C) Check for Circulation -- your child’s pulse. If you need to start Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or do the Heimlich maneuver, the dispatcher can walk you through the steps while the paramedics are en route. Better yet, be prepared by taking a CPR class or take a refresher course.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

News: Tick and Mosquito Infections Have Tripled, Reports CDC
Before you head outside this summer, even if it’s just to your own backyard, there are some things to know about the creepy crawlies you may encounter...
What should I do for my child in an emergency?
Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and ChildrenTulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children
If you need to tend to your child in an emergency, stay calm (if you freak out or panic, so will you...
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Find out how to ward off mosquitoes without exposing your skin to harsh chemicals.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?