What is splinting?

Splinting is a method of keeping a body part from moving in order to allow it to heal better. It generally involves a hard material, such as a cast, that hardens in order to allow a broken bone to heal. Stiff fabrics, plastic and metal are also used to immobilize an area. This technique is used for sprains and after certain surgical procedures as well.
Splinting is a method of immobilizing an injured part to minimize movement and prevent further injury, and should be used only if you have to move or transport the person to seek medical attention and if it does not cause more pain.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Kid’s Safety: Worst Foods For Choking
Kid’s Safety: Worst Foods For Choking
A new study in the Journal of Pediatrics highlights the most dangerous foods for choking -- and the ones that lead to the most ER visits. According t...
Which health professionals are trained in spine boarding?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The health professionals trained in spine boarding are: Athletic Trainers; Team physicians: Emergenc...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?