What are ways to use intermittent compression to treat swelling?

Using Game Ready, an Ace wrap, or anything that adds compression to the injured area are all methods of intermittent compression. When using compression, be sure to push any swelling toward the chest. For example, if the swelling is in the ankle and you are using an Ace wrap, start wrapping at the top of the calf and go toward the thigh.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

7 Office Health Hazards—And How to Avoid Them
Americans spend roughly eight hours a day at work during the week and many times, those hours are spent in an office setting. When a majority of your ...
What should I do if I get sick on vacation?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Here is what to do if you get sick on vacation: Consult a physician. If you have any of the follo...
How can I move an injured or ill person without hurting myself?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Use your knees and hips, not your back, when you bend Avoid twisting your body Do not move a perso...
In an emergency, what should I do for the person after calling 9-1-1?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Check the person for life-threatening conditions, and give the necessary care: Do no further ha...