What should I include in my first aid kit?

Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine
Always have a well-stocked first aid kit in your home or car. You can buy ready-made kits, or you can make and stock one yourself from your local pharmacy. According to the American College of Emergency Physicians, a good home first aid kit should contain at least the following:
  • Acetaminophen or ibuprofen
  • Cough suppressant
  • Antihistamine
  • Decongestant
  • Assorted bandages
  • Elastic wrap
  • Gauze and adhesive tape
  • Scissors and tweezers
  • Antiseptic wipes
  • Antibiotic ointment
  • Hydrogen peroxide and isopropyl alcohol
  • Disposable instant cold and heat packs
Stock both pediatric and adult doses of medications, as well as a children’s dosing syringe.

You may also consider taking a first aid course or learning CPR. You can check with the American Red Cross and the American Heart Association about classes near you.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Turn Around, Don't Drown—Plus Other Ways to Stay Safe During a Flood
Floods are the most common and costly natural disaster in the United States, as well as one of the most deadly. According to the Centers for Disease C...
Get Ticked Off Earlier This Year
Get Ticked Off Earlier This Year
During the first days of April you can enjoy the season openers for major league baseball teams across the country. It’s when the Indians, Yankees and...
How can I help a victim who is not breathing and has been under water?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
First, have someone call 911 immediately. If there is a possibility that the person injured their sp...
How to Do Hands-Only CPR on an Adult
How to Do Hands-Only CPR on an Adult