What should I have in my first aid kit?

A good first aid kit should include antibacterial ointment, adhesive bandages, gloves, cloth tape, gauze, antiseptic wipes, aspirin (81 mg doses), instant cold packs, hydrocortisone ointment, scissors, Ace wrap, a thermometer, tweezers, pain relievers and fever reducers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, and antihistamines. Follow the directions closely when using any medications, and store them in their original containers so that they can be easily identified. Check the first aid kit on a regular basis and replace any expired items.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages
The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t BandagesThe Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t BandagesThe Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t BandagesThe Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages
Gauze, gloves and other must-haves to patch a wound, wrap a sprain and more. When emergencies arise, having a well-stocked first aid kit, kept in an ...
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?
How to Use an EpiPen
How to Use an EpiPen
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?