What is the first aid treatment for head injury?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
The following are first aid treatment guidelines for head injury:
  • Call for medical help.
  • If necessary to turn victim, turn as unit. Use two rescuers and the log-roll technique (stabilize the head and neck while you instruct your helper to roll the victim's body as a single unit onto his/her back.)
  • If absolutely necessary to move victim, use clothes-drag technique (lay victim on back and drag by his/her clothing, keeping the body aligned.)
  • Immobilize neck and head, if spine or neck injury is suspected.
  • Monitor for responsiveness and breathing.
  • Control bleeding, if present.
  • Watch for signs of serious head trauma such as increasing sleepiness, projectile vomiting, seizures, and loss of body function.
  • Keep victim calm and still until help arrives.
  • Do not move a victim's head if a spinal injury is suspected.
  • Do not give anything by mouth.
  • Do not try to keep victim awake.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Toilet Seat Covers: Do They Work?
Toilet Seat Covers: Do They Work?
My husband runs every day with a jogging group. Often in the course of their runs they have a need for a Porta Potty. One day the guys in the group we...
How can I move an injured or ill person without hurting myself?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Use your knees and hips, not your back, when you bend Avoid twisting your body Do not move a perso...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?