How do I use a wading assist to help a person in trouble in the water?

• If the water is safe and shallow enough (not over your chest), you can wade in to reach the person.
  • If there is a current or the bottom is soft or unknown, making it dangerous to wade, do not go in the water.
  • Wear a life jacket and take something with you to extend your reach, such as a ring buoy, buoyant cushion, kickboard, life jacket, tree branch, plastic cooler, picnic jug or paddle.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Turn Around, Don't Drown—Plus Other Ways to Stay Safe During a Flood
Floods are the most common and costly natural disaster in the United States, as well as one of the most deadly. According to the Centers for Disease C...
When should I call 9-1-1 for a victim who has been submerged under water?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You should give 2 minutes of care before calling 9-1-1 for an unconscious person who has been submer...
8 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages
8 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages8 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages8 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages8 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages
Gauze, gloves and other must-haves to patch a wound, wrap a sprain and more. When emergencies arise, having a well-stocked first aid kit, kept in an e...
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?