How do I use a reaching assist to help a person in trouble in the water?

• Firmly brace yourself on a pool deck, pier or shoreline, and reach out to the person with any object that will extend your reach, such as a pole, oar, paddle, tree branch, shirt, belt or towel.
  • If no equipment is available, you can perform a reaching assist by lying down and extending your arm or leg for the person to grab.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

What You Should Know About Urgent Care—and When to Use It
It's Saturday afternoon and your son has come down with a fever. Or maybe your husband sprained his ankle on a jog. Your doctor's office is closed unt...
What should I do if I get sick on vacation?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Here is what to do if you get sick on vacation: Consult a physician. If you have any of the follo...
Tailgating Traumas to Avoid
Tailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to Avoid
Get your party on and get home safely.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?