How can I treat my child's nursemaid's elbow?

Carol Caico, NP
Advanced Practice Nursing

Nursemaid's elbow is a dislocation of the bone called the radius in the elbow. This usually occurs in young children and can occur by the child trying to move in the opposite direction of the mother when the mother is holding the child's hand. It can also be when swinging a child by the arms or any other activity the child does like swinging from the monkey bars. The child experiences pain and may cry and guard using their arm. Sometimes the bone slips back in place spontaneously and if not a health care provider can maneuver the bone back in place. Nursemaid elbow may happen again in the child and often the healthcare provider will teach the mother or father how to treat it on their own.

The most common orthopedic injury in kids under two is called nursemaid's elbow, in which the elbow gets tugged out of its socket by a caregiver holding a child's hand and yanking the elbow. ("Hurry across the street, dear.") This injury is not a fracture, but it sure can mimic one in the way that the child holds her arm -- as if it's in a sling -- and won't use it.

You can treat nursemaid's elbow yourself by holding her elbow in one hand and then rotating the arm in the proper direction. If you're not comfortable in the role of amateur orthopedist, take her to the doctor for a three-minute visit: one minute for telling what happened, one minute or less to pop the elbow back in, and another minute to get a sticker for being so brave!
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

The 411 on Poison Ivy
The 411 on Poison Ivy
Uma Thurman portrayed the villainess Poison Ivy in 1997’s Batman and Robin and her effort earned her a nomination for that year’s Razzie, or Golden Ra...
What are the health risks of wood smoke?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Burning wood releases a bevy of gases and particles into the air. The gases include irritating o...
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Find out how to ward off mosquitoes without exposing your skin to harsh chemicals.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?