How do I use a throwing assist to help a person in trouble in the water?

• An effective way to rescue someone beyond your reach is to throw a floating object out to the person with a line attached. These include ring buoys, throw bags or any floating object available, such as a picnic jug, small cooler, buoyant cushion, kickboard or extra life jacket.
  • Once the person grasps the object, pull the person to safety.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Bug Bite Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
Along with backyard barbeques, picnics and humid hikes on summer days, come bug bites—lots of them. Some may simply go unnoticed while others are so i...
How can I help an unconscious person if they are breathing?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Keep the person lying face-up and maintain an open airway by using the head-tilt/chin-lift technique...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free. For many Americans, the 4th of July involves wat...
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?