How do I use a throwing assist to help a person in trouble in the water?

• An effective way to rescue someone beyond your reach is to throw a floating object out to the person with a line attached. These include ring buoys, throw bags or any floating object available, such as a picnic jug, small cooler, buoyant cushion, kickboard or extra life jacket.
  • Once the person grasps the object, pull the person to safety.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Ice vs. Heat: Which Is Better for Pain?
Ice vs. Heat: Which Is Better for Pain?
Whether chronic or acute, aches, pains and injuries can put a damper on everyday activities. Along with rest and elevation, we've been told that heat ...
When should I call 911 at an emergency scene?
You should call 911 at an emergency scene as soon as you are aware or arrive at the scene. This will...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?