What should I do if I think my child has broken a bone?

If your child is in distress from pain or an obvious fracture, you should immobilize the suspected broken bone, hold pressure on any bleeding and get child to the emergency room (ER). If your child appears relatively normal but with complaints of mild pain or bruising with no obvious signs of trauma over a few days or hours, you should make an appointment with your primary doctor for an office visit to evaluate. If you suspect head trauma, you should take your child to the ER.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

7 Office Health Hazards—And How to Avoid Them
Americans spend roughly eight hours a day at work during the week and many times, those hours are spent in an office setting. When a majority of your ...
Toilet Seat Covers: Do They Work?
Toilet Seat Covers: Do They Work?
My husband runs every day with a jogging group. Often in the course of their runs they have a need for a Porta Potty. One day the guys in the group we...
Essential First Aid Tips Everyone Should Know
Essential First Aid Tips Everyone Should KnowEssential First Aid Tips Everyone Should KnowEssential First Aid Tips Everyone Should KnowEssential First Aid Tips Everyone Should Know
Find out how to treat cuts, blisters, bruises and other minor injuries. Many of us have experienced a minor injury, like a scraped knee, a blister fro...
The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages
The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t BandagesThe Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t BandagesThe Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t BandagesThe Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages
Gauze, gloves and other must-haves to patch a wound, wrap a sprain and more. When emergencies arise, having a well-stocked first aid kit, kept in an ...