What should I do if I think my child has broken a bone?

If your child is in distress from pain or an obvious fracture, you should immobilize the suspected broken bone, hold pressure on any bleeding and get child to the emergency room (ER). If your child appears relatively normal but with complaints of mild pain or bruising with no obvious signs of trauma over a few days or hours, you should make an appointment with your primary doctor for an office visit to evaluate. If you suspect head trauma, you should take your child to the ER.
If you suspect a broken bone, you'll need an X-ray to confirm it, of course. On your way to having it checked out, apply ice to help ease your child's pain and reduce the swelling. Depending on the location of the break, that part of the body will be immobilized, giving the bone time to knit itself back together. For most typical childhood breaks, bones will heal within three to six weeks, and you need to follow your doc's directions on activities that your child can and can't participate in not only when he's in the cast but also when he comes out.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

3 Ways to Make Mosquitos Go Away - Naturally
For 20% of folks with just the right blood type, metabolism or a love of beer, being bitten by mosquitoes (over and over) can cause anxiety, itching a...
What is the first important thing I should do to help an injured person?
The first important thing you should do to help an injured person is call 911. Do not worsen the inj...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?