How should I start examining an injured or ill person?

You will need to thoroughly check the injured or ill person so that you do not overlook any problems.

• Visually examine the person from head to toe.
  • You may notice an unusual sight or smell that could be caused by a poison, a bruise, a twisted arm or leg, or bleeding.

American Red Cross, medical, alert, badge, rescuer, first, responder

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Labor Day: Tips to Stay Out of the ER
Labor Day: Tips to Stay Out of the ER
It’s Labor Day! One last hurrah of a holiday before autumn, last chance to wear white (or so grandmother says) and—the #1 holiday for the greatest num...
How can I help an unconscious person if they are not breathing?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If an adult is not breathing, this person most likely needs immediate CPR.
Home Remedies That Can Land You in the ER
Home Remedies That Can Land You in the ERHome Remedies That Can Land You in the ERHome Remedies That Can Land You in the ERHome Remedies That Can Land You in the ER
Skip these DIY treatments—and see a medical professional, for goodness sake.  It’s understandable that you’d want to try treating conditions at home. ...
How to Do Hands-Only CPR on an Adult
How to Do Hands-Only CPR on an Adult