What should I do about the body temperature of a person with a burn?

While you should avoid extremes of temperature, maintenance of body temperature is not a priority in severe burn management. After removing the person from danger, seeking prompt assistance from healthcare professionals should be the priority.
When a person suffers a burn, he or she is less able to regulate body temperature. As a result, a person who has been burned tends to become chilled.

To help maintain body temperature and prevent hypothermia, keep the person warm and away from drafts.

Remember that cooling a burn over a large area of the body can bring on hypothermia. Be aware of this risk and look for signs of hypothermia.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Coping with the Cold
Coping with the Cold
A winter wonderland may be beautiful, but snow, ice and frigid temperatures can be dangerous. Here are our top four tips to protect yourself when you ...
When should I call 9-1-1 for a victim who has been submerged under water?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You should give 2 minutes of care before calling 9-1-1 for an unconscious person who has been submer...
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?