What should I do about the body temperature of a person with a burn?

When a person suffers a burn, he or she is less able to regulate body temperature. As a result, a person who has been burned tends to become chilled.

To help maintain body temperature and prevent hypothermia, keep the person warm and away from drafts.

Remember that cooling a burn over a large area of the body can bring on hypothermia. Be aware of this risk and look for signs of hypothermia.
While you should avoid extremes of temperature, maintenance of body temperature is not a priority in severe burn management. After removing the person from danger, seeking prompt assistance from healthcare professionals should be the priority.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

What You Need to Know About Nutella and Cancer
Nutella is suddenly all over the news due to cancer concerns surrounding its second ingredient, palm oil. A lab study published in Nature in December...
Are Antimicrobials Making Your Soap Less Safe?
If you’d bet the trifecta at the 2016 Kentucky Derby, you would have won big if you picked Always Dreaming, Looking At Lee, and Battle of Midway. But ...
Ouch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug Bites
Ouch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug BitesOuch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug BitesOuch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug BitesOuch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug Bites
Some bites and stings are harmless, others could send you to the emergency room. Summer brings backyard barbecues, picnics in the park and days spent ...
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?