How can I tell if my rescue breaths into a stoma are working?

Your rescue breaths are successful if you see the chest rise and fall, and you hear and feel air escape from the stoma.

If the chest does not rise and fall, the person’s tracheostomy tube may be blocked. If this happens, remove the inner tube, and give rescue breaths again.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Distracted Walkers: The Next Texting Danger
Two of our favorite cartoons poke fun at a serious and growing danger: Distracted walking. In one drawing, a man is walking across the street, texting...
“P” is for Pool?
“P” is for Pool?
Before jumping into your neighborhood pool this summer you might reflect on Olympic gold-medal swimmer Ryan Lochte’s confession that he peed in the po...
How to Prevent Winter Falls
How to Prevent Winter Falls
Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trots get thousands of folks from Maine to Southern California and scores of places in between (Franklin, TN; Tallahassee, FL;...
In an emergency, what should I do for the person after calling 9-1-1?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Check the person for life-threatening conditions, and give the necessary care: Do no further ha...