How can I tell if my rescue breaths into a stoma are working?

Your rescue breaths are successful if you see the chest rise and fall, and you hear and feel air escape from the stoma.

If the chest does not rise and fall, the person’s tracheostomy tube may be blocked. If this happens, remove the inner tube, and give rescue breaths again.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

What You Should Know About Urgent Care—and When to Use It
It's Saturday afternoon and your son has come down with a fever. Or maybe your husband sprained his ankle on a jog. Your doctor's office is closed unt...
How should people who have medical conditions handle the summer heat?
Manuel B. Torres Jr., MDManuel B. Torres Jr., MD
That depends on the types of conditions. But, for the most part, people with a fairly common disease...
Tailgating Traumas to Avoid
Tailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to Avoid
Get your party on and get home safely.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?