How many minutes should I use heat or ice to treat my injury?

A good rule of thumb is that you should use heat or ice for no more then 20 minutes. Use caution to ensure that you do not cause any damage to the skin by using either heat or ice for too long of a period of time. Once you go numb, you have used the ice long enough. When using heat, you should never be uncomfortable or have a feeling as if the area affected is burning.

Ice will reduce pain and swelling. Apply an ice or cold pack right away to prevent or minimize swelling. Apply the ice or cold pack for 10 to 20 minutes three or more times a day. After 48 to 72 hours, if swelling is gone, apply heat to the area that hurts. Do not apply ice or heat directly to the skin. Don’t apply heat for longer than 20 minutes, unless your doctor or physical therapist recommends longer.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Are Antimicrobials Making Your Soap Less Safe?
If you’d bet the trifecta at the 2016 Kentucky Derby, you would have won big if you picked Always Dreaming, Looking At Lee, and Battle of Midway. But ...
Pay Attention to What You Feed Your Dog
Pay Attention to What You Feed Your Dog
When Boodle, the Labrador retriever in Carl Hiaasen's novel Sick Puppy, swallows a few glass eyeballs from wall-mounted animal heads, the poor pup get...
How can I help an unconscious person if they are breathing?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Keep the person lying face-up and maintain an open airway by using the head-tilt/chin-lift technique...
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Find out how to ward off mosquitoes without exposing your skin to harsh chemicals. Summer is in full swing, and that means you’re probably spending lo...