What information should I give when I call poison control for help?

When you call poison control for help, tell them exactly what substance the person ingested or got in the eyes or on the skin. Each substance will have a different treatment. They cannot help as much if they don't know what the substance is.

First, remember to stay calm when calling for help. Not all substances are poisonous, and not all contact with a substance results in a poisoning. Arm yourself with information, and be ready to communicate the following information when you’re on the phone with the experts:

• The suspected poison. You will need vital information printed on its label.
  • The victim’s age, weight, and any additional health problems or conditions.
  • How the product came into contact with the person (by mouth, by inhaling, through the skin, or through the eyes).
  • How long the product was in contact with the victim.
  • What, if any, first aid has already been provided.
  • Whether the victim has vomited.
  • Your location.
  • How long it would take you to transport the victim to get to a hospital.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

The 411 on Poison Ivy
The 411 on Poison Ivy
Uma Thurman portrayed the villainess Poison Ivy in 1997’s Batman and Robin and her effort earned her a nomination for that year’s Razzie, or Golden Ra...
How can I tell if my rescue breaths into a stoma are working?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Your rescue breaths are successful if you see the chest rise and fall, and you hear and feel air esc...
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Find out how to ward off mosquitoes without exposing your skin to harsh chemicals.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?