What happens if someone gets injured when I am giving first aid?

In rare cases, first aid may be administered improperly and actually cause more damage - such as moving a person with a neck injury and causing paralysis. In some places, you may be protected by the Good Samaritan law, which means that if you were making your best effort to try to provide emergency assistance, you cannot be held responsible. In other places and situations, however, you may not be covered under this law and could be sued for damages. That's why it's important to only provide first aid in emergencies if you are trained and feel comfortable with the situation. If you are unsure of yourself, call 911 and follow the emergency operator's instructions.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

“P” is for Pool?
“P” is for Pool?
Before jumping into your neighborhood pool this summer you might reflect on Olympic gold-medal swimmer Ryan Lochte’s confession that he peed in the po...
In an emergency, what should I do for the person after calling 9-1-1?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Check the person for life-threatening conditions, and give the necessary care: Do no further ha...
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?