Can I use first aid on strangers?

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine
You can use first aid on strangers as long as you do so with caution. When rendering first aid to strangers, avoid direct contact with their blood. If not, use sanitized gloves, clean fabric or your clothing to protect you.

If you find yourself in a situation where a stranger needs first aid, you should ask before attempting to treat them. If a person is unconscious, they usually fall under implied consent. This means that their consent is given even though they cannot physically do so - they would consent if they could. Only perform first aid if you are trained and feel comfortable with the situation. You should also always take steps to protect yourself, including using disposable gloves.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

“P” is for Pool?
“P” is for Pool?
Before jumping into your neighborhood pool this summer you might reflect on Olympic gold-medal swimmer Ryan Lochte’s confession that he peed in the po...
What should I do for my child in an emergency?
Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and ChildrenTulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children
If you need to tend to your child in an emergency, stay calm (if you freak out or panic, so will you...
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Find out how to ward off mosquitoes without exposing your skin to harsh chemicals.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?