How do I give first aid for a puncture wound?

A deep-but-minor-looking wound can be treated with first aid as long as the bleeding stops within a few minutes of pressure. Once bleeding has stopped, clean the area and apply an antibiotic ointment and a bandage. Change the dressing daily and monitor for signs of infection. If the bleeding does not stop within a few minutes, seek emergency treatment.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Ice vs. Heat: Which Is Better for Pain?
Ice vs. Heat: Which Is Better for Pain?
Whether chronic or acute, aches, pains and injuries can put a damper on everyday activities. Along with rest and elevation, we've been told that heat ...
What is the first important thing I should do to help an injured person?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Calling 9-1-1 or the local emergency number for help. The call taker will send emergency medical ...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?