How do I give first aid for a bite?

Minor animal bites - if rabies is not a threat - can be treated with soap, water, antibiotic ointment, and a bandage. More serious bites require immediate pressure to minimize blood loss and a trip to the doctor. If you don't know whether the animal has rabies, you must see a doctor. Bites from other humans should be treated similarly to a minor animal bite, but you should also seek emergency care. Human bites can be more serious than animal bites because of the bacteria and viruses contained within a human's mouth.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Help Kids Spring into Summer: Trampoline Safety
When Hollywood stuntwoman Leigh Hennessy walks up a wall or sails over a 20-foot fence she’s launches from an unseen trampoline -- right into her role...
What is the first important thing I should do to help an injured person?
The first important thing you should do to help an injured person is call 911. Do not worsen the inj...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?