How do I give first aid for a black eye?

Very little first aid is needed for a black eye unless there is damage to the eye itself. First, the eye should be inspected to be sure that there is no change in the shape of the pupil or any bleeding in or around the eye. If none of those things are present, then the person's vision in that eye should be checked by covering the other eye and having the person check for blurry vision at both near and far distances. If there are no changes in vision and no blurry vision, the last portion of first aid for black eyes should include checking for concussion by answering the following questions: Was the person unconscious after the hit? Does he know where he is and what the situation was? Does he remember how he got hit? If the person is unable to correctly answer any of these questions or was unconscious, he should see a physician right away.
To care for a black eye, apply something cold, such as an ice bag or ice pack within a towel, for at least half an hour. This will help reduce swelling and bruising. If the vision is distorted, rest for a full 24-hour period is recommended. You should not blow you nose, and you should avoid activities that will increase pressure in the face. This will help to avoid further bleeding, bruising and swelling.

Depending on the severity, black eyes can be a sign of an orbital fracture. It is common to have double vision and limited movement of the eye as well as extreme pain. If the eye appears to be unusually lower on the face than the other eye, and if you have pain, swelling, and bleeding, a fracture may be suspected, which requires an x-ray. Surgery is sometimes required depending upon the doctor's preference after viewing the x-ray.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Georgia College & State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

A black eye, or deep bruise around the eye caused by trauma, can often be treated by first aid at home. Gentle pressure should be applied - but don't press the eye itself. Use a cold pack to apply the pressure and help reduce swelling. If the black eye is very serious; however, or if there is bleeding in the eye, be sure to see a doctor to avoid further injury or vision loss.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Help Kids Spring into Summer: Trampoline Safety
When Hollywood stuntwoman Leigh Hennessy walks up a wall or sails over a 20-foot fence she’s launches from an unseen trampoline -- right into her role...
How can I help a victim who is not breathing and has been under water?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
First, have someone call 911 immediately. If there is a possibility that the person injured their sp...
Tailgating Traumas to Avoid
Tailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to Avoid
Get your party on and get home safely.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?