How do I give first aid for a black eye?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A black eye, or deep bruise around the eye caused by trauma, can often be treated by first aid at home. Gentle pressure should be applied - but don't press the eye itself. Use a cold pack to apply the pressure and help reduce swelling. If the black eye is very serious; however, or if there is bleeding in the eye, be sure to see a doctor to avoid further injury or vision loss.

To care for a black eye, apply something cold, such as an ice bag or ice pack within a towel, for at least half an hour. This will help reduce swelling and bruising. If the vision is distorted, rest for a full 24-hour period is recommended. You should not blow you nose, and you should avoid activities that will increase pressure in the face. This will help to avoid further bleeding, bruising and swelling.

Depending on the severity, black eyes can be a sign of an orbital fracture. It is common to have double vision and limited movement of the eye as well as extreme pain. If the eye appears to be unusually lower on the face than the other eye, and if you have pain, swelling, and bleeding, a fracture may be suspected, which requires an x-ray. Surgery is sometimes required depending upon the doctor's preference after viewing the x-ray.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Georgia College & State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Kid’s Safety: Worst Foods For Choking
Kid’s Safety: Worst Foods For Choking
A new study in the Journal of Pediatrics highlights the most dangerous foods for choking -- and the ones that lead to the most ER visits. According t...
What can I do if someone has fallen in my home?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
If someone has fallen in your home: – If they are not breathing start CPR and stop any bleeding w...
Essential First Aid Tips Everyone Should Know
Essential First Aid Tips Everyone Should KnowEssential First Aid Tips Everyone Should KnowEssential First Aid Tips Everyone Should KnowEssential First Aid Tips Everyone Should Know
Find out how to treat cuts, blisters, bruises and other minor injuries. Many of us have experienced a minor injury, like a scraped knee, a blister fro...
Ouch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug Bites
Ouch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug BitesOuch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug BitesOuch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug BitesOuch, What Bit Me? 10 Common Bug Bites
Some bites and stings are harmless, others could send you to the emergency room. Summer brings backyard barbecues, picnics in the park and days spent ...