How do I give first aid for heat cramps?

Anyone suffering from heat cramps should stop what they are doing and move (or be moved) to a cool environment, such as a building or car with air conditioning. The person should be rehydrated with water or a sports beverage. Icing the affected muscles or stretching them can provide temporary relief. Seek medical attention for heat cramps if the symptoms do not improve or if they worsen.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program.)

If you have painful muscle spasms after activity done in the heat, start by resting and cooling down. Replenish fluids, preferably through clear juice or a drink with added electrolytes. Gently stretch and massage the affected area, and continue to rest for at least several hours afterward. If the cramps are still present after more than an hour, seek medical treatment.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Ice vs. Heat: Which Is Better for Pain?
Ice vs. Heat: Which Is Better for Pain?
Whether chronic or acute, aches, pains and injuries can put a damper on everyday activities. Along with rest and elevation, we've been told that heat ...
What can I do if someone has fallen in my home?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
If someone has fallen in your home: – If they are not breathing start CPR and stop any bleeding w...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?