How can I tell if an adult is having a cardiac emergency?

If an adult is not breathing, and if the emergency is not the result of drowning or other respiratory cause such as a drug overdose, assume that the problem is a cardiac emergency.
The following are signs and symptoms of an adult having a cardiac emergency: chest pain, jaw or arm pain, nausea, sweating, shortness of breath, collapse, or difficulty completing a full sentence. These symptoms are not specific. If in doubt, call 911.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

The 411 on Poison Ivy
The 411 on Poison Ivy
Uma Thurman portrayed the villainess Poison Ivy in 1997’s Batman and Robin and her effort earned her a nomination for that year’s Razzie, or Golden Ra...
How can I move an injured or ill person without hurting myself?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Use your knees and hips, not your back, when you bend Avoid twisting your body Do not move a perso...
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?