How do I splint a fractured bone?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine

Below are some of the basics of splinting a fractured bone you can use if help is not on the way and moving is necessary:

• Support both sides of the fracture when you lift the fractured limb into the splint. If, for example, you use a newspaper to splint a fractured forearm, be sure to extend the newspaper from the hand to the elbow so that it includes the joint above and below the fracture site.
  • Always check circulation of the injured extremity before and after splinting. Note the color of the skin beforehand.
  • A splint is probably too tight if the color of the skin changes. Loosen the splint ties until the color improves. If the victim complains of numbness or if swelling occurs, loosen the splint.
  • Get medical attention immediately.
Doc's First Aid Guide: Read It Before You Need It

In a medical emergency, time is of the essence. "Doc's First Aid Guide" is an illustrated, first-aid pocket handbook designed to be used as a quick reference and includes the latest CPR guidelines....

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Bug Bite Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
Along with backyard barbeques, picnics and humid hikes on summer days, come bug bites—lots of them. Some may simply go unnoticed while others are so i...
What should I do if I get sick on vacation?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
The best way to care for any illness while on vacation is to prepare for it ahead of time. Before yo...
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Natural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really WorkNatural Mosquito Repellents That Really Work
Find out how to ward off mosquitoes without exposing your skin to harsh chemicals.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?