How should I care for a dislocated shoulder?

Call 911. Keep the patient calm, and try to keep them from looking at the injury. Do not attempt to move the athlete or the athlete's arm, and wait for emergency personnel to arrive. (This answer provided for NATA by the California University of Pennsylvania Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages
The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t BandagesThe Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t BandagesThe Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t BandagesThe Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 9 First Aid Kit Essentials That Aren’t Bandages
Gauze, gloves and other must-haves to patch a wound, wrap a sprain and more. When emergencies arise, having a well-stocked first aid kit, kept in an ...
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween. Scary decorations, pumpkins on doorsteps and incredible candy sales at the...
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?
How to Perform the Heimlich Maneuver
How to Perform the Heimlich Maneuver