How do I give first aid for motion sickness?

First, help the person avoid motion sickness by putting them in the spot where the least motion is felt. In a car, this means the seat for the front passenger. In a plane, this should be over a wing. On a ship, this is the front, middle, or upper deck. On a train, this is near the front and by a window. Have the person keep their focus on something far away, like the horizon. Keep their head still. Avoid smoke, spicy foods, alcohol, and reading. There are antihistamines that can relieve or prevent motion sickness. If someone has become sick, you can give them crackers or a drink with carbonation to help their stomach.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Labor Day: Tips to Stay Out of the ER
Labor Day: Tips to Stay Out of the ER
It’s Labor Day! One last hurrah of a holiday before autumn, last chance to wear white (or so grandmother says) and—the #1 holiday for the greatest num...
How can I help an unconscious person if they are breathing?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Keep the person lying face-up and maintain an open airway by using the head-tilt/chin-lift technique...
Tailgating Traumas to Avoid
Tailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to Avoid
Get your party on and get home safely.
What Does the CDC Do to Help Make the US and World Safer and Healthier?