How should I cleanse my skin if I have poison ivy?

If you have come in contact with poison ivy, you should cleanse your skin with soap and water within five to 10 minutes. After that time the urushiol oil (chemical that causes the reaction in poison ivy) will have penetrated the skin. If you have been exposed, certain creams can absorb the urushiol to help prevent reactions. Additionally, all pieces of clothing and objects that may have the urushiol oil will also need to be cleaned with soap and water. Remember that the best method for preventing poison ivy rash is to avoid exposure.
If you have come in contact with poison ivy, you should take care to wash your skin immediately with cool water to remove the oil from the poison ivy leaves or vine that can irritate your skin. If a rash develops on your skin, use cool water to help relieve the itchy rash. You also may want to take an oatmeal bath or add baking soda to the bath water to help calm your skin.

If your rash is too advanced to bathe comfortably, you can place cool cloths on the affected skin to clean it and help ease your discomfort. If you have poison ivy on your face, try to use a gentle cleanser with cool water to calm your skin.

Poison ivy can cause a very serious rash, depending on your sensitivity or allergic reaction. Try to keep the affected area clean and dry so your poison ivy rash does not develop into an infection.

In addition to cleaning your skin, you should also wash all of your clothes and shoes that may have touched the plant. Use hot, soapy water to better remove the oils left by the plant. This oil can stay active for a long time, and you do not want to risk exposure to it again.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

The Silent Danger: Understanding Drowning Risks in Hawaii
Living on an island, especially with small keiki, the thought of drowning is a real and frightening prospect. In Hawaii, drowning deaths overwhelmingl...
What should I do for my child in an emergency?
Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and ChildrenTulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children
If you need to tend to your child in an emergency, stay calm (if you freak out or panic, so will you...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?