How should I cleanse my skin if I have poison ivy?

If you have come in contact with poison ivy, you should cleanse your skin with soap and water within five to 10 minutes. After that time the urushiol oil (chemical that causes the reaction in poison ivy) will have penetrated the skin. If you have been exposed, certain creams can absorb the urushiol to help prevent reactions. Additionally, all pieces of clothing and objects that may have the urushiol oil will also need to be cleaned with soap and water. Remember that the best method for preventing poison ivy rash is to avoid exposure.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Idling Cars Threaten Schoolchildren’s Air Quality
Have you ever thought about the idle threat moms and dads present to their children by lining up in their cars for “Pickup-N-Go” at elementary and gra...
What You Should Know About Urgent Care—and When to Use It
It's Saturday afternoon and your son has come down with a fever. Or maybe your husband sprained his ankle on a jog. Your doctor's office is closed unt...
How can I help an unconscious person if they are not breathing?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If an adult is not breathing, this person most likely needs immediate CPR.
When should I call 911 at an emergency scene?
You should call 911 at an emergency scene as soon as you are aware or arrive at the scene. This will...