How should I care for a muscle injury using RICE?

• REST -- Do not move or straighten the injured area.
  • IMMOBILIZE -- Stabilize the injured area in the position it was found. Splint the injured part only if the person must be moved or transported to receive medical care and it does not cause more pain. Minimizing movement can prevent further injury.
  • COLD -- Fill a plastic bag with ice and water or wrap ice with a damp cloth and apply ice to the injured area for periods of about 20 minutes.
    • Place a thin barrier between the ice and bare skin. If 20-minute icing cannot be tolerated, apply ice for periods of 10 minutes.
    • If continued icing is needed, remove the pack for 20 minutes and then replace it. Place a thin barrier between the ice and bare skin.

• Cold reduces internal bleeding and swelling. Do not apply heat as there is no evidence that applying heat helps muscle injuries.

• ELEVATE -- Elevate the injured part only if it does not cause more pain. Elevating the injured part may help reduce swelling.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

The Good News About Bacteria-Covered Hands
When a cloaked Romulan Bird-of-Prey suddenly materializes in the same quadrant as the starship Enterprise, it’s a pretty good bet that conflict is in ...
Idling Cars Threaten Schoolchildren’s Air Quality
Have you ever thought about the idle threat moms and dads present to their children by lining up in their cars for “Pickup-N-Go” at elementary and gra...
Pay Attention to What You Feed Your Dog
Pay Attention to What You Feed Your Dog
When Boodle, the Labrador retriever in Carl Hiaasen's novel Sick Puppy, swallows a few glass eyeballs from wall-mounted animal heads, the poor pup get...
How can I move an injured or ill person without hurting myself?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Use your knees and hips, not your back, when you bend Avoid twisting your body Do not move a perso...