How should I care for a muscle injury using RICE?

• REST -- Do not move or straighten the injured area.
  • IMMOBILIZE -- Stabilize the injured area in the position it was found. Splint the injured part only if the person must be moved or transported to receive medical care and it does not cause more pain. Minimizing movement can prevent further injury.
  • COLD -- Fill a plastic bag with ice and water or wrap ice with a damp cloth and apply ice to the injured area for periods of about 20 minutes.
    • Place a thin barrier between the ice and bare skin. If 20-minute icing cannot be tolerated, apply ice for periods of 10 minutes.
    • If continued icing is needed, remove the pack for 20 minutes and then replace it. Place a thin barrier between the ice and bare skin.

• Cold reduces internal bleeding and swelling. Do not apply heat as there is no evidence that applying heat helps muscle injuries.

• ELEVATE -- Elevate the injured part only if it does not cause more pain. Elevating the injured part may help reduce swelling.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

How to Prevent Winter Falls
How to Prevent Winter Falls
Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trots get thousands of folks from Maine to Southern California and scores of places in between (Franklin, TN; Tallahassee, FL;...
How can I help an unconscious person if they are not breathing?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If an adult is not breathing, this person most likely needs immediate CPR.
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?