How should I care for an electrical burn?

If you encounter a person with an electrical burn, you should:
  • Never go near the person until you are sure he or she is not still in contact with the power source.
  • Turn off the power at its source and care for any life-threatening conditions.
  • Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number. Any person who has suffered an electrical shock needs to be evaluated by a medical professional to determine the extent of injury.
  • Be aware that electrocution can cause cardiac and respiratory emergencies. Therefore, be prepared to perform CPR or use an automated external defibrillator (AED).
  • Care for shock and thermal burns.

• Look for entry and exit wounds and give the appropriate care.
  • Remember that anyone suffering from electrical shock requires advanced medical care.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally
Morihei Ueshiba, founder of the Japanese martial art of Aikido, once said, “The spirit is the true shield.” While there’s no doubt Ueshiba was onto so...
In an emergency, what should I do for the person after calling 9-1-1?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Check the person for life-threatening conditions, and give the necessary care: Do no further ha...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?