What can I do if I see someone in trouble in the water?

Do not enter the water unless you are specifically trained to perform in-water rescues. Get help from a trained responder, such as a lifeguard. However, you can help a person in trouble in the water from a safe position by using reaching, throwing or wading assists.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

What to Do If You Have a Spider Bite
What to Do If You Have a Spider Bite
If you get spooked by spiders like we do, remember this: Most spiders are harmless – and in fact, they're necessary for the environment. “Spiders are ...
When should I call 9-1-1 for a victim who has been submerged under water?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You should give 2 minutes of care before calling 9-1-1 for an unconscious person who has been submer...
Tailgating Traumas to Avoid
Tailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to AvoidTailgating Traumas to Avoid
Get your party on and get home safely.
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?