How do I help a person who is in trouble in the water?

• When possible, start by talking to the person.
  • Let the person know that help is coming.
  • If noise is a problem or if the person is too far away to hear you, use nonverbal communication.
  • Direct the person what to do, such as grasping a line, ring buoy or other object that floats.
  • Ask the person to move toward you, which may be done by using the back float with slight leg movements or small strokes.
  • Some people can reach safety by themselves with the calm and encouraging assistance of someone calling to them.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

The Silent Danger: Understanding Drowning Risks in Hawaii
Living on an island, especially with small keiki, the thought of drowning is a real and frightening prospect. In Hawaii, drowning deaths overwhelmingl...
When should I call 9-1-1 for a victim who has been submerged under water?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You should give 2 minutes of care before calling 9-1-1 for an unconscious person who has been submer...
Tips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
Tips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe HalloweenTips for a Fun and Safe Halloween
From candy to costumes, these tips will keep your kids safe this Halloween.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?