How do I give first aid for a snakebite?

Start by immobilizing the bitten area and placing it below the heart. This reduces swelling and, on the rare chance that the snakebite is poisonous, assists in keeping the poison from spreading. Clean the wound and apply a bandage. Do not use a tourniquet, ice, or try to extract the venom. You should also avoid caffeine and alcohol. Lastly, try to remember what the snake looked like so you can describe it to emergency medical personnel, which may help them in deciding your treatment.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Ice vs. Heat: Which Is Better for Pain?
Ice vs. Heat: Which Is Better for Pain?
Whether chronic or acute, aches, pains and injuries can put a damper on everyday activities. Along with rest and elevation, we've been told that heat ...
What are the health risks of wood smoke?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Burning wood releases a bevy of gases and particles into the air. The gases include irritating o...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?