What should I do if my child swallows poison?

If you find your child with an open or empty container of anything that isn’t food, he may have eaten something poisonous. Stay calm and act quickly. First, get the item away from your child. If there is still some in his mouth, make him spit it out or remove it with your fingers. Keep this material along with any other clues about what your child ate. Save the container to help doctors determine exactly what and how much was swallowed. If your child is unconscious, not breathing, having convulsions, or having seizures, call 911 right away. If the poison is very dangerous or your child is very young, you may be told to go straight to the nearest hospital. If not, you will be asked for the following information and told what to do at home:
  • Your name and phone number
  • Your child’s name, age, and weight
  • Any medical conditions your child has
  • Any medicine your child is taking
  • What your child swallowed -- read the name off the container and spell it
  • How much you think your child swallowed and when

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

which is more sanitary : hand towels or air dryers ?
    when you are in a public restroom , do you go for the paper towels or the air dryer after you wash your hands ? to get your paws cleanest , choose the...
    6 office health hazards—and how to avoid them
    when a good part of your waking hours are spent in an office , it important to be aware of certain hazards , and what you can do to reduce your chance...
    Kid safety : worst foods for choking
    Kid safety : worst foods for choking
    a new study in the journal of pediatrics highlights the most dangerous foods for choking -- and the ones that lead to the most er visits . according t...
    what should i do if i get sick on vacation ?
    If you're on vacation and you get sick, the best thing to do is to get checked out at the neares...