How can air get into the victim's stomach while I'm giving rescue breaths?

This may happen if you breathe too long, breathe too hard or do not open the airway far enough.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

5 Lifesaving Emergency Tips
5 Lifesaving Emergency Tips
Most people don’t think about what they’d do in an emergency beyond calling 911. But did you know that the average time for an ambulance to arrive fro...
In an emergency, what should I do for the person after calling 9-1-1?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Check the person for life-threatening conditions, and give the necessary care: Do no further ha...
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July5 Tips for a Safe 4th of July
From fireworks to backyard barbeques, here’s how to help ensure your July 4th is fun and injury-free.
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?
What Are Some Grilling Safety Tips?