What should I do after I finish examining an injured or ill person?

• When you have finished checking, determine if the person can move without any pain.
  • If there are no other signals of injury, have him or her attempt to rest in a sitting or other comfortable position.
  • When the person feels ready, help him or her to stand.
  • Determine what additional care is needed before calling 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.

Continue Learning about First Aid, Safety & Preparedness

Turn Around, Don't Drown—Plus Other Ways to Stay Safe During a Flood
Floods are the most common and costly natural disaster in the United States, as well as one of the most deadly. According to the Centers for Disease C...
The Silent Danger: Understanding Drowning Risks in Hawaii
Living on an island, especially with small keiki, the thought of drowning is a real and frightening prospect. In Hawaii, drowning deaths overwhelmingl...
Bug Bite Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
With backyard barbeques, picnics, and summer hikes come bug bites—and quite often, lots of them. Some bites may go unnoticed, while others are so itch...
What Emergency Items Should Be In My Family Medicine Cabinet?