What do I do if a parent won't give consent for a child's emergency care?

If a parent or guardian is present but does not give consent, do not give care. Instead, call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.
Diana K. Blythe, MD
If you believe a child needs emergency care and the parent refuses, call 911. You cannot give care, but you can call emergency services.

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

If there are a lot bystanders at an emergency scene, should I help?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The presence of bystanders does not mean that a person is receiving help. You may have to help, ...
More Answers
How can I protect myself when helping someone during a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
During a medical emergency, always take protective measures to avoid coming in contact with anot...
More Answers
When might someone be unable to give expressed consent for emergency care?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Expressed consent may be impossible to get in certain situations. A person may be injured, unconscio...
More Answers
What states have Good Samaritan laws?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Most states and the District of Columbia have Good Samaritan laws that protect people against ne...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.