When might someone be unable to give expressed consent for emergency care?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
Expressed consent may be impossible to get in certain situations. A person may be injured, unconscious, unable to understand, or have altered mental status. Proceed with caution, if you decide to give care. They may pose a risk to your health. You are only giving care because they cannot make the decision in their condition. Expect them to do the unexpected and keep yourself safe. 

Someone who is unconscious, unable to respond, confused, mentally impaired, seriously injured or seriously ill may not be able to give expressed consent.

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

How can I protect myself when helping someone during a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
During a medical emergency, always take protective measures to avoid coming in contact with anot...
What is expressed consent when giving emergency care?
Dr. Anita GuptaDr. Anita Gupta
The patient is aware of the situation/plan of action and allows you to give him or her care. Express...
When Should Someone Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?
How the American Red Cross Prepares for Disasters