For the purposes of first aid, what is the defined age of an infant?

For purposes of first aid, an infant is defined as being younger than 1 year of age. 
Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
For purposes of first aid or CPR, consider infants to be less than one year old and children to be one or older.

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

When can I give emergency care to a child or an infant without permission?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If a condition is life threatening, permission or consent is implied if a parent or guardian is ...
Should I tell EMS if I was in contact with body fluids while giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To prevent disease transmission, tell EMS personnel at the scene or your health care provider if y...
How can I protect myself when helping someone during a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
During a medical emergency, always take protective measures to avoid coming in contact with anot...
What is expressed consent when giving emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Expressed consent means a conscious person understands your questions and gives you permission to gi...