How do I move an injured victim by myself?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
If you're alone and a victim absolutely has to be moved after an accident, follow these steps to perform the clothes-drag technique:
  • Lay victim on back and grab victim's clothing behind his/her neck. (Be careful not to cause an airway obstruction by pulling the clothing too tightly.)
  • Support victim's head, keeping the head as close to the floor as possible.
  • Drag the victim by his/her clothing, keeping the body aligned. Pull as a unit. Hold the head and neck as one, so no bending or twisting occurs.

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

What is expressed consent when giving emergency care?
Dr. Anita GuptaDr. Anita Gupta
The patient is aware of the situation/plan of action and allows you to give him or her care. Express...
Why do I need a person's permission before giving emergency care?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
You need to ask a person's permission before giving emergency care because they have the right to sa...
How the American Red Cross Prepares for Disasters
When Should Someone Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?