What is expressed consent when giving emergency care?

Expressed consent means a conscious person understands your questions and gives you permission to give care.
Dr. Anita Gupta
Anesthesiology
The patient is aware of the situation/plan of action and allows you to give him or her care. Expressed consent can be verbal or nonverbal. A common nonverbal example is if you ask to take a patient’s blood pressure and they extend an arm to you without saying anything. The patient is nonverbally allowing you to fulfill your responsibilities. 

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

What are the risks of responding to a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Anyone involved in the care of an ill or injured person can be at risk of acquiring an infectiou...
Should I tell EMS if I was in contact with body fluids while giving care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
To prevent disease transmission, tell EMS personnel at the scene or your health care provider if y...
What Is Asthma and How Is It Treated in the ER?
When Should Someone Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?