When can I give emergency care to a child or an infant without permission?

If a condition is life threatening, permission or consent is implied if a parent or guardian is not present. 
Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

A layperson can only give emergency care to a child or an infant if their parent gives permission, is not present, or is injured and unable to answer. You can call 911, but you cannot touch the child if the parent refuses. 

Continue Learning about First Aid Risks

What is expressed consent when giving emergency care?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Expressed consent means a conscious person understands your questions and gives you permission to gi...
How can I protect myself when helping someone during a medical emergency?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
During a medical emergency, always take protective measures to avoid coming in contact with anot...
When Should Someone Go to the ER for an Asthma Attack?
How the American Red Cross Prepares for Disasters