When do I need a tetanus shot for my wound?

If you have received all of your tetanus vaccines as a child, you will need to have a tetanus booster shot every 10 years in general. If you have a minor, clean wound and have had the tetanus vaccine in the past 10 years you will not need another shot. However, if you have a dirty (contaminated) wound you will need a tetanus vaccine if you have not had one in the past 5 years. Thereafter, you will not need another tetanus shot for 10 years unless you have another contaminated wound.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
What is a skin adhesive?
Skin adhesive is an alternative way that doctors bind wounds in order to avoid stitches. It is u...
How should I care for an open abdominal injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
With a severe open injury, abdominal organs sometimes protrude through the wound. [media id="4...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?