What should I use to clean a wound?

Soap and water are recommended wound care for all lacerations. Alcohol and hydrogen peroxide are not recommended for wound care. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern Kentucky University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
How should I care for an open abdominal injury?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
With a severe open injury, abdominal organs sometimes protrude through the wound. [media id="4...
How important is movement when caring for a wound?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If a wound falls on a joint, doctors will often immobilize the area; movement can cause tearing. Lea...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?