What should I do if my wound starts swelling?

If a wound starts to swell, it can be an indicator of an underlying medical issue, an infection or a malignancy. Learn more from Brian Evans, MD, from West Hills Hospital & Medical Center in this video.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Elevation of the extremity is very important initially. Contact your physician, surgeon, or visit the emergency room immediately. Infections from a wound can spread to the rest of the body causing bacteremia which untreated may be lethal.

Continue Learning about First Aid For Wounds

Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Are You Prepared to Save a Life?
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a situation where someone is suffering life-threatening bleeding. However, uncontrolled bleeding is the leading cause of...
What should I use to clean a wound?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Soap and water are recommended wound care for all lacerations. Alcohol and hydrogen peroxide are not...
How should I care for a wound with an embedded object?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
If a foreign body is embedded in a wound, it's important to seek immediate medical attention. Learn ...
What's the Best Way to Remove a Splinter?